Congratulations to Hossein Haydari who won the Victorian Open 2020 Online Backgammon Tournament.
- 1st Place – Hossein Haydari
- 2nd Place – Saeed Nourmohammadi
- 3rd Place – Amir Golegolab
- 4th Place – Len Brown
- 5th Place – TBD
- Final – Consolation – Amir Golegolab defeated Len Brown 15-6
- Final – Main Flight – Hossein Haydari defeated Saeed Nourmohammadi 15-12
- Semi Final – Consolation – Len Brown defeated Steve Clarry 13-12
- Semi Final – Consolation – Amir Golegolab defeated Tim Chambers 13-8
- Semi Final – Main Flight – Saeed Nourmohammadi defeated Amir Golegolab 15-10
- Semi Final – Main Flight – Hossein Haydari defeated Len Brown 15-4
- Quarter Final – Main Flight – Len Brown defeated Simon Ustick 15-2
- Quarter Final – Main Flight – Amir Golegolab defeated Gene McIntyre 15-13
- Quarter Final – Main Flight – Hossein Haydari defeated Martin Pikler 15-1
- Quarter Final – Main Flight – Saeed Nourmohammadi defeated David Wells 15-7
This exciting and challenging tournament is now underway. Entries are closed.
The drawsheets can be found here. Good luck to all of the participants.
Download the tournament flyer.
- Main Flight – 15 points
- Consolation – 13 points
- Last Chance – 11 points
100% of entry fees are returned as prizes.
- 1st = $708 (Main Flight winner)
- 2nd = $354 (Main Flight runner up)
- 3rd = $354 (Consolation winner)
- 4th = $177 (Consolation runner up)
- 5th = $177 (Last Chance winner)
Side pool payouts:
- 1st = $1275 *
- 2nd = $425 *
Side pool winners determined on the final position in the Main Flight only.
* Should multiple participants finish equal highest, the side pool prizes will be divided equally.
Tournament Director is Kevin Jessup.
Entries will close at 10pm AEDT on Friday November 6th. The draw will be conducted on Sunday 8th of November with tournament play to commence on Monday 9th of November. There is a limit of 64 entries to the Victorian Open. There will be no re-buys.
Tournament format will be a 3 tier knockout with Main Flight, Progressive Consolation and Last Chance draws. This will mean that Players can still win money if they lose 2 matches.
Every match in the Main Flight draw will be played to 15 points. Every match in the Consolation draw will be played to 13 points. Every match in the Last Chance draw will be played to 11 points.
Players will be randomly paired for the first round. If there are an odd number of players byes will be randomly awarded as required.
Entry Fees and Prizes
The entry fee into the Victorian Open is $30.
100% of all entry fees will be returned as prizes as follows:
- 40% for the winner of the Main Flight
- 20% for second place of the Main Flight
- 20% for the winner of the Consolation draw
- 10% for second place of the Consolation draw
- 10% for the winner of the Last Chance draw
- Only one entry per person is allowed into the tournament.
There is an optional side pool of $100. You do not need to participate in the Side Pool to enter the tournament. Side Pool participants must also pay the regular entry fee (total cost $130).
100% of the side pool amount will be returned as prized as follows:
- 75% to the highest finishing side pool participant of the Main Flight
- 25% to the second highest finishing side pool participant of the Main Flight
- Should multiple people finish equal highest, the side pool amount will be divided equally to those finishing highest in the Main Flight.
- Only one entry per person is allowed into the Side Pool
Monies and Participant Details
All monies will be held by the Victorian Backgammon Association who at the end of the tournament will distribute the prizes.
Where to Play
This is an online tournament.
With agreement between both players, players can choose to play at any online venue.
Where available, clocks by default should be set to casual. Players can agree to alternate settings. Players are encouraged to keep match logs where available.
It is up to each player to organise each match between themselves.
Popular online backgammon sites include:
Reporting of Results
Results must be reported via email to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible after the match is completed.
The Tournament Director will be the final arbiter of any disputes and will be guided by the rules endorsed by the Australian Backgammon Federation, giving consideration to fairness and sportsmanship.
Above all else, the Victorian Backgammon Association wishes all participants the best of luck in all of their matches and hopes they enjoy themselves.